Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Effective speaking ALWAYS begins with listening.

(photo credit: fillthegapmarketing.co.uk)

"The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed." (Isaiah 50:4, New International Version)

Sometimes we are too quick to speak, too eager to offer advice, too focused on achieving quick solutions so we can move on to the next task. How might our lives be different if we paused long enough to listen?


A better question: How might our words be different if we paused long enough to have our tongues instructed by God? What if we used our words to "sustain the weary" rather than to instruct the inefficient?

Effective speaking always begins with listening; listening to God, to people, and to circumstances.

Question: How can you begin your day (morning by morning) preparing your tongue for the day?

Leave a comment below.  Our community would benefit from your input.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: On Monday, July 7, I am moving my blog to my new WordPress site: www.drgerrylewis.com. 

This new platform will include blog posts (Life Matters on Monday, Dr. G's Morning Cup of Encouragement on Tue-Thursday & Saturday), book recommendations, podcasts (hoping to launch Your Church Matters by the end of August), ministry and personal growth resources, and lots more. 

You will have the opportunity to subscribe to posts via email and select what kind of posts you wish to receive.  Everyone who subscribes to my email list will receive a free copy of my new eBook, "30 Days of Wisdom."  I'm excited about this new chapter and I hope you will plan to join me on the journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment