Thursday, June 19, 2014

Jesus, the Carrier

(photo credit: mommyedwards.com)

"I have cared for you since you were born. Yes, I carried you before you were born. I will be your God throughout your lifetime—until your hair is white with age. I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you." (Isaiah 46:3-4, New Living Translation)

Today brings a special perspective on life for me. Yesterday, I sang for a funeral of a baby that only lived for one hour after birth. His parents knew for the last 4 months of pregnancy that this would likely be the case, but they loved him and bore testimony of God's goodness and nearness.

41 years ago today, my little brother, Walt, was born prematurely. Babies his size routinely survive and prosper now, but medical technology in 1973 did not provide that opportunity. He lived a few days, but never left the hospital. I was never in the room with him. I saw him inside an incubator through a window.

God carried both those babies. He carried them in the womb and He carried them into His presence. I don't know why I have been allowed to live until I am beginning the "hair white with age" stage, but I know He has been carrying me. That reality makes me want, even more, to fulfill His purpose for my life.

Question: Can you think of times throughout your life that you were aware that God was carrying you? What can you do to cultivate that awareness today?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment