Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Silence is golden; duct tape is silver.

(photo credit: beckydunks2.blogspot.com)

"Guard my mouth, O Eternal One; control what I say. Keep careful watch on every word I speak." (Psalm 141:3, The Voice)

In yesterday's post, I talked about God's shielding our heads as a helmet to help us make good decisions in times of crisis. Because I invite comments, a couple of people mentioned that the helmet should come with a mouthpiece to control our words. I had to chuckle when I moved on to Psalm 141 this morning and found the words in verse 3.

Words cannot be "un-said." Apologies can be offered. Clarifications can be attempted. Thankfully, grace and forgiveness can be granted. But, wounds heal slowly and rebuilding violated trust is really, really hard work.

If our words were more thoughtful and prayerful, they might be less hurtful.

Question: What situations present the most difficulty for you to control your words? How will you pray in those times?

Leave a comment below. I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment