Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Fearing God

Between travel and a death in the family, the morning writing got moved to the back burner for the past couple of days. I'm glad to be back with you this morning.

(photo credit: kevinmartineau.ca)

"The Lord takes pleasure in those who reverently and worshipfully fear Him, in those who hope in His mercy and loving- kindness." (Psalm 147:11, Amplified Version)

I got stuck on the word "fear" this morning. I have to admit that "fearing" God has always been a difficult concept for me. I have no problem with "reverence" or acknowledging His holiness. He is not my big buddy in the sky. But I cannot bring myself to be afraid of Him.

Not a big deal except for the fact that "fear" is a Biblical word. I do not have the right to arbitrarily change the words and concepts to fit my comfort zone. The word translated "fear" can also be translated "revere," so the problem is not the word itself. But my question to God this morning was, "Am I approaching You in the way You desire to be approached?"

God brought about a precious "aha" moment in response to that prayer. This verse does not say that God takes pleasure "when He is feared." It says that He takes pleasure "in those" who fear Him. It is not the perfection of my approach that gives God pleasure, it is me. With God, it is always personal. It is always about relationship.

Question: How can you focus on relationship rather than performance today? How might that affect your reverence for God?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment