Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Peace like a River?

(photo credit: adhdsoul.com)

"This is what the Lord says—your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: 'I am the Lord your God,who teaches you what is good for you and leads you along the paths you should follow. Oh, that you had listened to my commands! Then you would have had peace flowing like a gentle river and righteousness rolling over you like waves in the sea.'" (Isaiah 48:17-18, New Living Translation)

We used to sing a song, "I've got peace like a river ... in my soul." (If you know the song, you are probably humming the tune right now). I was in a church in Saltillo, Mexico a few years ago and the kids started singing that familiar tune, "Tengo paz como un rio ..." (my spell check really did not like that phrase).

In this passage from Isaiah, God identifies Himself as the source of wisdom, blessing, and direction. If only we would listen to Him and obey, he says, we would have peace like a river.

So, does that mean that obedience to God guarantees a gentle float down the lazy river? I don't think so. I think it is more likely that God means that peace like a river and righteousness like waves of the sea will flow OVER US, washing away the silt and sediment of sin and spiritual stupor until we are purified and energized in His stream.

Question: What does "peace like a river" look like for you?

Leave a comment below.  Our community would benefit from your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment