Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Sibling rivalry and the family of God

(photo credit: psychologytoday.com)

"How wonderful, how beautiful, when brothers and sisters get along! It's like costly anointing oil flowing down head and beard, Flowing down Aaron's beard, flowing down the collar of his priestly robes. It's like the dew on Mount Hermon flowing down the slopes of Zion. Yes, that's where God commands the blessing, ordains eternal life." (Psalm 133, The Message)

When I was a kid, I could not figure out why my mom was so upset when my brother and I fought.

Then I grew up and had kids of my own. Then it made sense.

Fortunately, my kids have been best buddies their whole lives, so the fighting was minimal. Even now that they are both grown up and married, it gives me a special joy when I know they have spent time together, either enjoying each other's company or helping each other out with some task. 

How do you think it makes God feel when His kids fight? When they are self-centered? When they wound one another with their words? When they neglect one another's needs? When they are so convinced they are right that they are unwilling to listen to and learn from one another?

If we notice the end result of the unity God is looking for ("Yes, that's where God commands the blessing, ordains eternal life"), we may come to the conclusion that we are the dirty hairball clogging the flow of God's blessings.  Just a thought.

(photo credit: rupcoeplumbing.com)

Question: What can you do today to live more at peace with your siblings in the family of God?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment