Saturday, December 7, 2013

Corrective Lenses


(Photo credit: sitik.wordpress.com)

"My son, live according to what I am telling you; guard my instructions as you would a treasure deep within you. Stay true to my directives, and they will serve you well; make my teachings the lens through which you see life." (Proverbs 7:1-2, The Voice)

For as long as I can remember, I have heard the phrase "looking through rose-colored glasses" suggesting the idea that a person is choosing only to see the good in a situation.

I also remember, a few years back, buying a particular kind of sunglasses (Blue-blockers) that made the green-ish looking grass in my yard appear to be a dazzling emerald green. The glasses were WAY cheaper than water, fertilizer, and hard work!

About the time I turned 40, I started needing glasses for reading. Without them, the words on the page are blurry and distorted.

As I read this passage from Proverbs this morning it occurred to me that life can be blurry, confusing, and distorted if we do not view it through the lens of God's word. That's why it is important for us to not only read a portion of God's word every day, but also to internalize it and live by it so that it becomes our lens for interpreting life.

Question: What are some ways that you can think of to make sure that we are looking at the world through the lens of God's word?


Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment