Thursday, December 5, 2013

What is Ahead Begins with Today

(Photo credit:  Bill Frymire (c)2007)

"Do not say, “Why is it that the former days were better than these?” For it is not from wisdom that you ask about this." (Ecclesiastes 7:10, New American Standard Bible)

It's funny how God does things sometimes. Music is such a part of my life that I almost always wake up in the morning with a song going through my mind. This morning, it was a song I wrote 26 years ago called, "These Are the Good Days". The song talks about missing today's treasures by either looking too far forward or backward.

So, I'm singing this song to myself as I brush my teeth and get my coffee and I sit down for my morning reading and prayer time. 

There are several sources that I read from each morning and then I write this devotional based on whatever God impresses on my heart. 

This verse from Ecclesiastes was a part of this morning's reading. I have used this verse in churches many times over the last couple of decades to remind them that they must focus on moving forward.

In less than 3 weeks, I will celebrate my 52nd birthday. It is highly likely that I have more years behind me than I do ahead of me. I have experienced much in these 52 years, but there is much ahead and what is ahead begins with making the most of TODAY.

It is dangerous to drive with our focus on the rear-view mirror. It's not wise to live with our focus on the "former days".

Question: What are some ways you have found to keep your focus forward and make the most of today?


I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment