Thursday, May 29, 2014

New strength on wings of eagles

(photo credit: hdw.eweb4.com)

"He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint." (Isaiah 40:29-31, New Living Translation)

From August of 1984 to November of 1988, I was Associate Pastor of Music And Youth at Eagle Mountain Baptist Church. In April of 1991, I returned there to serve as Senior Pastor until May of 2008. Though I never saw an eagle in the area (or a mountain, for that matter), it seemed natural to use an eagle for a logo and to use these verses as a theme.

Those who know me well are aware of my bird phobia (feathered assassins), so my love affair with eagle imagery is a bit ironic. But it is present nonetheless.

When I add the imagery of these verses, I am strangely energized. I can take another step. I am abundantly aware of my own limitations, but I am even more aware of the strength of The Lord that lifts me above those limitations. I find "new strength."

Question: What new strength do you need today?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment