Monday, February 10, 2014

Take a long hard look

(photo credit: crossfireminute.crossfirechurch.us)

"Yes, the Day is coming when people will notice The One Who Made Them, take a long hard look at The Holy of Israel. They'll lose interest in all the stuff they've made-- altars and monuments and rituals, their homemade, handmade religion-- however impressive it is." (Isaiah 17:7-8, The Message)

I read this story this morning: "I don't say anything," said an old Irish peasant about his quiet, solitary visits to the church. "I just look at God, and God looks at me." (From The Spiritual Formation Bible)

Have we become so "task" oriented in our lives that we cannot simply be still and encounter the presence of God? Are we so busy seeking blessings or answers that we cannot seek Him?

“One of the reasons for our sense of futility in prayer is that we have lost our power to visualize. We can no longer even imagine putting ourselves deliberately before God.” (Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest)

In a couple of hours, I will be leaving for a 24 hour "Hearing God" retreat with some of my ministry partners. I'm going to "unplug" entirely during this time, so I won't be posting tomorrow. I am requesting your prayers as I put myself deliberately before God and take a long hard look at Him.

Question: what do you need to do to take a long hard look at God?


Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment