Thursday, February 27, 2014

It's all on loan from God.

(photo credit: logbookloansreview.co.uk)

"You built a reservoir between the two walls for the water of the Old Pool, but you did not look to the One who made it, or have regard for the One who planned it long ago." (Isaiah 22:11, New International Version)

This verse obviously has a particular context, but what stood out for me this morning was a timeless rebuke from God: "you did not look to the One who made it, or have regard for the One who planned it long ago."

How often do we go about our lives, doing our thing, making our plans, without regard for God? 

Oh, we may give Him an hour or two on Sunday. We may even spend a few moments each morning asking Him for His blessings through the day. When we recognize that we are in a mess, we may even cry out to Him for His aid.

But do we see Him in every circumstance? Do we invite Him to join us on our journey? More importantly, how do we respond to His invitation to join Him on His journey?

The great English hymn writer Isaac Watts (1674-1748) wrote a hymn called "I'll Praise My Maker While I've Breath." The great English preacher and hymn writer John Wesley (1703-1791) died with the words of that hymn on his lips.

I read that account this morning, along with the words of that hymn in The One Year Book of Hymns.

Check out this powerful line from the final stanza: "I'll praise Him while He lends me breath."

Lends.

When I look around at the things that I think belong to me, I'm truly looking at things that are on loan from God. Even my breath is not mine. How could I go about my life not looking to the One who made it?

Question: What will you do today to intentionally look to the One who made you and who has loaned you your life today?


Please leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment