Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The cattle on a thousand hills and the dog in my backyard

(photo credit: mfablog.org)

"For every beast of the forest is Mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills or upon the mountains where thousands are. I know and am acquainted with all the birds of the mountains, and the wild animals of the field are Mine and are with Me, in My mind.If I were hungry, I would not tell you, for the world and its fullness are Mine." (Psalm 50:10-12, Amplified Bible)

Probably the most well-known and often quoted portion of that passage is the part about the cattle on a thousand hills.

I remember a few years back when one of my dogs would not stop barking during one particular night. I had tapped on the window several times, had gone outside and looked around, had gone outside and scolded her; nothing worked. Just as soon as I got back into bed the barking started again. I was frustrated, exhausted, and already dreading the next day when I would be forced to go about my business with little sleep. Finally, in desperation I prayed, "Lord, if the cattle on a thousand hills belong to you, surely you can handle one barking dog!"

It worked! She stopped barking.

I'd like to report that this became my "go to" prayer that took care of every barking dog night, but God doesn't work on formulas. But that particular night, He reminded me that He really is in control and that He really is listening. He also reminded me that it is not only grazing cattle and barking dogs that belong to Him. 


He is also the king of me.

Question: how do you respond to the idea that everything belongs to God?


Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment