Tuesday, May 6, 2014

God is already there

(photo credit: blog.doc.govt.nz)

When I made my first trip to Ukraine in 2010, I was amazed that one of my all-time favorite hymns, "How Great Thou Art", was a favorite in the churches there. When did this song get translated into Russian and how long have they been singing it?

Then I found out that we were the ones late to the party. The hymn was written in 1886 by a Swedish pastor. It was eventually translated into German and Russian. A British missionary serving in Ukraine translated 3 of the original 9 verses into English and added one more verse of his own.

So what's my point in telling this story? We tend to be quite ego-centric in our approach to life. Notice how it never occurred to me that the Ukrainians might have known this song first. If we are open to it we might learn some things from others if we will take time to listen to and learn the whole story.

I think a greater lesson is the reality that, wherever we go, God is already there. We may be going on a mission and ministry trip, but we are not taking God to a place He has not been. He has been going ahead of us, preparing the way.

"You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. You see me when I traveland when I rest at home. You know everything I do. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord. You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!" (Psalm 139:2-6, New Living Translation)

Question: What can you do today to be intentional about seeing what God has already done to prepare the way for you?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment