Monday, May 5, 2014

Songs for the Road of Life

(photo credit: howdyhonda.com)

"Your decrees have been the theme of my songs wherever I have lived." (Psalm 119:55, New Living Translation)

For as long as I can remember, music and the word of God have been part of my journey. I have embraced, and been embraced by, a singing faith. That doesn't mean that every song I sing is a hymn or some other "Christian" song. Often that means that the joy of walking with Jesus just bubbles up in a silly song from my childhood--often one that I learned while riding in the car with my dad.

Dad and I took a road trip a couple of days ago. We drove a 600 mile round trip to Houston and back on Saturday to attend (and for me to preach) the funeral of my cousin. We left my house shortly after 7:00 a.m. and arrived back home shortly after 11:00 p.m. While the circumstances were not what we would have chosen, all those hours in the car with just the two of us were an incredible blessing.

When we were about two hours from home (after stopping for supper and gasoline), we started singing all those silly songs that we haven't sung in the car together in almost 40 years. I would not trade those two hours for anything. The circumstances that got us there were painful, but God, in His amazing grace, redeemed the moments with His joy.

Question: How can you open yourself to God's grace to redeem your circumstances with His joy.

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment