Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Lessons from UnPleasantville

(photocredit: wisciblog.com)

"Yes, this anguish was good for me, for you have rescued me from death and forgiven all my sins." (Isaiah 38:17, New Living Translation)

Wait ... What? This anguish was good for me?

"It's good for you," is the phrase parents once used to get their kids to eat their vegetables, to do unpleasant chores, or to take disgusting tasting medicine.

I'm not sure it gets used as much anymore; we seem to have a goal of ensuring that life is as free of unpleasantness as possible. We make medicine taste like candy, hide vegetables under a layer of cheese, and hire someone to do the chores.

Please don't see those statements as criticism. I do not intend them to be. I'm simply making an observation that we don't often think of unpleasantness, difficulty, or "anguish" as being good for us to go through.

But how much do we really learn in the middle of pleasure (except how much we like it)? How much time do we spend looking to God when things are going smoothly? How often do we say, "God is good," or, "It was a God-thing," when we are in those times of trial?

My brother-in-law used to be a ski instructor. He told people, "If you're not falling, you're not learning." I think that's true in life. The greatest learning comes in times of challenge. When we can say to God, "Thank you. It was good for me to go through this. I have learned more about trusting you," we may really be growing.

Question: What have you learned in times of unpleasantness?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment