Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Work Smarter

(photo credit: cdblog.centraldesktop.com)

"Unless the Eternal builds the house, those who labor to raise it will have worked for nothing. Unless the Eternal stands watch over the city, those who guard it have wasted their time. God provides for His own. It is pointless to get up early, work hard, and go to bed late Anxiously laboring for food to eat; for God provides for those He loves, even while they are sleeping." (Psalm 127:1-2, The Voice)

Many of us who have a long history of Christian life and church participation have heard a clear call to work as hard as we can for as long as we can to do as much as we can for Jesus. After all, He loved us and gave His all for us. How could we give Him any less?

Can I let you in on a secret? That message is more "Church-ian" than Christian. There is a message that I have heard, more often outside of a Christian context, that I think may be more consistent with the message of the Gospel: "Work smarter, not harder."

God doesn't give extra credit for fatigue. His desire is that we would listen to Him and allow Him to do what He wants to do in and through us.

Listen to the words of the apostle Paul: "Now I have found the freedom to truly live for God. I have been crucified with the Anointed One—I am no longer alive—but the Anointed is living in me; and whatever life I have left in this failing body I live by the faithfulness of God’s Son, the One who loves me and gave His body on the cross for me. I can’t dismiss God’s grace, and I won’t. If being right with God depends on how we measure up to the law, then the Anointed’s sacrifice on the cross was the most tragic waste in all of history!" (Galatians 2:19-20, The Voice)

God is not terribly interested in what we do for Him or how hard we work. He is abundantly interested in our complete surrender to His purpose of living out His glory through us. If we are willing to go, to do, and to say what He says, He will do the heavy lifting.

Seems pretty smart to me.

Question: How can you work smarter today?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment