Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Give Us Our Daily Bread

(Photo credit: Photobucket)
 "Two things I ask, O God. Sometime before I die, grant these humble requests: Eliminate any hint of worthless and deceitful words from my lips. Do not make me poor or rich, but give me each day what I need; For if I have too much, I might forget You are the One who provides, saying, “Who is the Eternal One?” Or if I do not have enough, I might become hungry and turn to stealing and thus dishonor the good name of my God." (Proverbs 30:7-9, The Voice)

Did you notice that both poverty and riches can have the same result?
If I have too much, I may dishonor God by trusting in my wealth instead of Him. If I have too little, I may dishonor God by giving up on Him and taking matters into my own hands.

Too much or too little is not a fixed number. God knows what each of us needs and what we are prepared to handle well.

Jesus taught His disciples to pray, "Give us this day our daily bread." (Matthew 6:11) He was teaching them the truth that prayerfully trusting God is to be the consistent pattern of our lives, rather than tossing up an occasional plea in times of crisis.

How are you demonstrating your trust in God's provision today?
Join the conversation by leaving a comment below.  How can I pray for you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment