Sunday, March 16, 2014

Are you following the Good Shepherd?

(My dad, T.J. Lewis and his lambs, 2011)

“I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me, just as my Father knows me and I know the Father. So I sacrifice my life for the sheep ... My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me" (John 10:14-15, 27-28, New Living Translation)

I am glad to be back with you after a few days of traveling. The time in Vancouver was wonderful and I am really looking forwarding to the partnership opportunities that God is providing there to assist with starting churches. A conservative estimate is that less than 3% of the 2.7 million residents know The Good Shepherd. Some have heard of Him, but they could not be identified by the way He described His sheep in these verses.

They know me ... They don't just know that He is A shepherd; they have a personal knowledge of Him as THEIR shepherd.
They listen to my voice ... They have learned to recognize His voice above the cacophony of noises and voices surrounding them.
They follow me ... Here's where it so often breaks down. Jesus is not simply looking for "believers"; He is calling for "followers". 

Our feet reveal whether the truth in our heads has made its way to our hearts.

Question: In your own community, how many could be described as sheep of the Good Shepherd? How about in your own home?

Leave a comment or a prayer request below.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment