Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Cuts like a knife ...

(photo credit: lisamhayes.com)

"Hide me from the secret counsel and conspiracy of the ungodly, from the scheming of evildoers, Who whet their tongues like a sword, who aim venomous words like arrows, Who shoot from ambush at the blameless man; suddenly do they shoot at him, without self- reproach or fear." (Psalm 64:2-4, Amplified Bible)

Some people are so skillful in wounding others with their words that it seems like they must sit around practicing. Perhaps they do.

I confess that there was a time in my life that I took pride in my ability to "out-sarcasm" others. I thought I was quite the wit, but I was only half right! (You'll get that joke in just a second). 

There came a time for me, however, when I determined that I would only use my words to bless. That doesn't mean that there is not an occasional need for a loving confrontation, correction, or assertion; it does mean that "winning" is not the bullseye and "wounding" is completely off the target.

I know people who love a good debate. For some, they love the energetic exchange of differing views. For others, they just like to argue. For a few, it will always become personal.

There must be a better way.

Question: How do we keep our words aligned with our calling as Christ-followers? 


(I have at least one verse in mind, but I'd like to hear from you)

No comments:

Post a Comment