Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Scrubbing floors for Jesus

(photo credit: lagcc.cuny.edu)

"One day spent in your house, this beautiful place of worship, beats thousands spent on Greek island beaches. I'd rather scrub floors in the house of my God than be honored as a guest in the palace of sin." (Psalm 84:10, The Message)

Roland Earl was my pastor and father in the ministry when I was a seminary student. I was blessed to succeed him as pastor of the Eagle Mountain Baptist Church in Ft. Worth, TX when he graduated to heaven in 1991. Between the two of us, we pastored that church for 48 years (31 for him, 17 for me). Psalm 84:10 was his favorite verse. He never had any desire for accolades. He just wanted to serve Jesus.

This verse is not about spending all of one's time at the "church house". God does not live in houses made of brick and mortar (or any other building material). This is about worship (acknowledging and practicing the presence of God) and ministry (pouring out oneself in service to God).

I am reminded of a phrase from one of my favorite Keith Green songs from many years ago: "And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown, for my reward is giving glory to You."



Question: How will you "scrub floors" for Jesus today?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment