Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Fellowship of the Misunderstood

(photo credit: countrystrongwellness.com)

"For you, O God, have heard my vows; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name." (Psalm 61:5, English Standard Version)

"You've always taken me seriously, God, made me welcome among those who know and love you." (Psalm 61:5, The Message)

How many times in our lives have we told God that we would do certain things? I'm not talking about bargaining with God (If you will help me _________, I will __________). I think God sees through that and responds according to His plan without putting much stock in whatever rash promise we made. (If He doesn't want you to go to Africa, He is not going to send you there because you promised you would go if you passed that Algebra test).

No, I'm talking about times when you truly sensed His leadership and direction and you made a commitment to Him to take certain action, to cease a certain action, to follow a certain path.

And then resistance came.



Other people in your life did not understand, support, or agree with your commitment. They didn't take you seriously. They thought (and maybe secretly hoped) you would "get over it".

May I tell you something? (If the answer is no, stop reading right now). You are in good company. We might call this "The Fellowship of the Misunderstood". Both biblically and historically, many have had their calling misunderstood and have not been taken seriously.

God takes you seriously. He has not forgotten you and He knows how your heart longs to serve and bring glory to Him. Don't give up.

Question: What might you do today to remind yourself that God takes you seriously?


Leave a comment below.  Our whole community could be encouraged by your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment