Tuesday, January 28, 2014

One Special Hammer

(Photo credit: slightlychristopher.com)

"By the power of my hand and by my wisdom I did this, For I have understanding" ...  Is the axe to boast itself over the one who chops with it? Is the saw to exalt itself over the one who wields it? That would be like a club wielding those who lift it, or like a rod lifting him who is not wood. (Isaiah 10:13,15 New American Standard Version)

In the immediate context of these verses, God is talking about how He used the nation of Assyria to bring judgment on His people, Israel. The king of Assyria boasts of his great power and wisdom, not realizing that he has simply been a tool in the hands of God.

While I am pretty sure God has not used any of us to conquer nations, He has used us for His purposes, often apart from our conscious awareness. When we begin to boast of our accomplishments, neglecting to consider how God has used us or how He used others to prepare us for those opportunities, we demonstrate our ignorance at best and our ingratitude at worst.

I do a little bit of carpentry work. I'm not good at it, but I enjoy it. When I manage to drive a nail straight, my hammer doesn't get to brag about it. It is a tool in my hand. It can't drive a nail by itself, straight or crooked. It doesn't get to say, "Man, I am one special hammer! That hand is so lucky to have me."

God is never lucky to have me. He is happy to use me, but it is only by His gracious hand that anything I do is ever successful. I am humbled and blessed to be loved and used by Him for His purposes.

Question: What can you do today to see the hand of God in your activities?


Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment