Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What serves as your life's compass?

(photo credit: people.smu.edu)

"For You make him to be blessed and a blessing forever; You make him exceedingly glad with the joy of Your presence." (Psalm 21:6, Amplified Bible)

The Psalmist (King David) is writing about himself in third person. If he were writing in first person, this verse might say, "You have blessed me and made me a blessing; you have made me abundantly glad with the joy of your presence."

Over 20 years ago I was working through a process of developing a personal mission statement. The full statement is more detailed, but the simple statement that I share with others is, "I exist to be a blessing." 

I also sometimes state it this way: "My life's mission is to bless, not impress."

It is amazing how this affects the way I approach most situations. It is a great reminder that I am not here to fix situations (only God can really do that), but I am here to glorify Him by being a blessing. That idea serves as my compass for navigating the circumstances of life. It points me to my true north.

Question: What serves as your life's compass?


Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment