Thursday, January 16, 2014

You have an inheritance

(photo credit: blog.credit.com)

I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.” ... The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. (Psalm 16:2,5-6, English Standard Version)

Have you ever heard the stories about someone who got an unexpected inheritance from a wealthy relative they never knew they had? Have you ever secretly wondered what you would do if that unexpected inheritance showed up for you? Wouldn't that be cool!

I am reminded this morning of the priceless inheritance that has already been delivered to those of us who are Christ-followers. The Psalmist reminds us that we do not have anything good that did not come from God. In the New Testament, James said something similar: "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." (James 1:17, New International Version)

The psalmist also reminds us that the best inheritance we receive from God is not His "stuff", but God Himself. He is our portion, our blessing, our inheritance. His presence is our wealth. We don't serve a Him for the possibility of how He might bless us; we serve Him out of love and gratitude for His love, mercy, and beauty. His "stuff" that can be touched or quantified can in no way compare to the gift of His life implanted in those who will receive Him.

Dude! I am rich!

Question: How can we avoid the temptation to try to quantify what God has given us?


Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment