Saturday, January 4, 2014

What Keeps You Up at Night?

(Photo credit: worldnewshut.com)

"Tonight I will sleep securely on a bed of peace because I trust You, You alone, O Eternal One, will keep me safe." (Psalm 4:8, The Voice)

Do you ever have those nights? You know the kind I am talking about, the kind where you plot, plan, strategize, go through various scenarios, and get up in the morning so tired you can't do any of the things you worked on all night.

I trust God completely. I really, really do. But when my schedule is particularly hectic, or when the stakes are really high on a particular issue, I sometimes get the idea that I should help Him out with some great planning of my own.

All that middle-of-the-night planning is usually rewarded by nothing more than daytime drowsiness and ineffectiveness on the simplest of tasks.

I should know better. I do know better. But, like a lot of other life lessons, knowing and doing are not the same. So the lesson continues. 

And God is gracious. He has never once zapped me in my bed for my lack of trust. He gently reminds me through His word (like in today's verse) that I really can "sleep securely on a bed of peace" because I trust Him.

QUESTION: What keeps you up at night? How can you release it into His hands?


Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment