Tuesday, January 7, 2014

What you choose affects how you feel

(photo credit: avalonchurch.net)

"I will give to the Lord the thanks due to His rightness and justice, and I will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High." (Psalm 7:17)

Which words stand out for you in that verse? Which ones affect the way you read all the others? Read the verse again slowly, emphasizing those words.

For me, the words "I will" are the ones that drive all the rest. They speak of intentionality, of conscious, deliberate choice. They speak of awareness of reality apart from flights of feeling.

"I will" says that I choose thankfulness and praise when I feel disappointed. It is not a denial of disappointment, but an acknowledgement that God is bigger than my little corner of His world.

If we were to speak all day long of the things for which God is worthy of praise and thanksgiving, we could not exhaust the list. And the amazing truth is that we are much more likely to FEEL thankful if we have deliberately chosen to BE thankful.

QUESTION: What is your "I will" today?


Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment