Tuesday, April 1, 2014

God's Positioning System

(photo credit: engadget.com)

"Your ears will hear sweet words behind you: 'Go this way. There is your path; this is how you should go' whenever you must decide whether to turn to the right or the left." (Isaiah 30:21, The Voice)

My phone has a built in GPS that knows where I am and can give me directions to where I want to go. "In 800 feet, turn left on ___________, " she says. I often think I know better so I go my own way.

We like our own way, don't we? Inspired by either the Elvis or Sinatra versions (or, in my age bracket, Fleetwood Mac), we proudly set out to prove that "we've got this".

Until we end up lost or at a dead end. Then we get mad at the GPS.

And when we go our own way and end up at a place in life we don't want to be, we ask God why He didn't guide us. I know this is obvious, but the problem is not God. We didn't listen.

If we think of "GPS" as "God's Positioning System" then how do we get to the point where we are hearing those directions clearly? Here's a profoundly simple truth: We can't get from here to there if we don't know where here is. Positioning begins with positioning ourselves to hear God.

I think many of us begin the day praying for God's guidance and direction as we navigate through the activities and challenges of our day. How might it look if we began by simply positioning ourselves to hear God?

Question: What are some ways you can think of that would help us to position ourselves so that we know where here is?

Please share your comments below.  Our online community would benefit from your insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment