Wednesday, April 2, 2014

I'm just keeping it real ... simple

(photo credit: dribble.com)

"O Lord, what great works you do! And how deep are your thoughts." (Psalm 92:5, New Living Translation)

So often, when I'm writing or preparing to teach or preach, I am looking for ways to share profound truth in simple terms. I want the readers or hearers to have an "Aha" moment rather than "Huh" (too profound) or "Duh" (too simple).

I had one of those "Aha" moments when I read a Psalm 92 this morning. That statement in verse 5 is either profoundly simple or simply profound ... or both. Whatever it is, I experienced a strange sense of contentment in reading and resting in it.

Maybe the secret to successfully bringing profound truth in simple terms is it point to the One who IS truth. (See John 14:6). Probably every writer and speaker wants to be quoted. I'm no different. But, rather than someone saying, "I heard Gerry Lewis say this," how much better would it be for someone to say, "I can't remember where I heard this, but here's what God taught me."

You may not be a teacher or writer, but you are (whether you realize it or not) a person of influence. Someone is paying attention.

Question: How will you point to Jesus today?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment