Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Stuck out of Balance

(photo credit: cafemom.com)

"How can a young person stay pure?
By obeying your word.
I have tried hard to find you—
don’t let me wander from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart,

that I might not sin against you.
I praise you, O Lord;
teach me your decrees.
I have recited aloud
all the regulations you have given us.
I have rejoiced in your laws
as much as in riches.
I will study your commandments
and reflect on your ways.
I will delight in your decrees
and not forget your word."
(Psalm 119:9-16, New Living Translation)



I'm sharing a slightly longer passage than usual this morning because I noticed something interesting.

Notice that the Psalmist begins with what he has already done: "I have tried ... I have hidden ... I have recited ... I have rejoiced ..."

Then he shifts to what he will do: "I will study ... I will delight ... "

As we consider our lives in Christ, we need both perspectives. If we only have "I will's" without "I have's", then we need to consider what keeps us from acting on those intentions.

If we only have "I have's" without "I will's" then we need to consider why we have lost our vision.

Question: Are you stuck in the "I have's" or "I will's"?

Leave me a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment