Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Power of Praise

(photo credit: petalsglobe.com)

"Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done. Sing to him; yes, sing his praises. Tell everyone about his wonderful deeds." (Psalm 105:1-2, New Living Translation)

Two quotes are ringing in my ears this morning. One of them I read just a few moments ago. The great reformer, Martin Luther (1483-1546) once said, "The devil, the originator of sorrowful anxieties and restless troubles, flees before the sound of music almost as much as before the Word of God." In Luther's day, church music was performed by professional musicians. That he encouraged congregational singing and wrote hymns to facilitate that radical concept was scandalous.

Yet the Psalmist writes, "Sing to him; yes, sing his praises." I believe it to be no coincidence that, in some of the darkest times of my life, when I could hardly even manage a prayer, it was a song of worship that came to mind and found its way to my lips.

The second quote I heard as I was driving and listening to a podcast yesterday. One of the podcasts in my regular playlist is "Let My People Think" by author and apologist Ravi Zacharias. His message was about apologetics, the act of giving a reasoned and thoughtful answer for the truths of the Christian faith. He said that those who seek to give that answer must have "an apologetic that is not merely heard, but seen" and "an apologetic that is not merely argued, but felt."

The Psalmist writes, "Let the whole world know what he has done ... Tell everyone about his wonderful deeds." The truth displayed and celebrated in our lives is powerful. The character of Christ demonstrated in our actions, attitudes, and words will accomplish much.

Questions: How has music brought you peace in times of struggle? What wonderful deed of God can you celebrate publicly today? What means can you use?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment