Sunday, April 13, 2014

The blessing is not just a mealtime prayer.

(photo credit: teara.govt.nz)

"BLESS (AFFECTIONATELY, gratefully praise) the Lord, O my soul; and all that is [deepest] within me, bless His holy name! Bless (affectionately, gratefully praise) the Lord, O my soul, and forget not [one of] all His benefits—" (Psalm 103:1-2, Amplified Bible)

I'm not sure when I first heard this joke made, but it has been a part of my life for many years. Whenever the time comes for the mealtime prayer and people have already started eating we pray, "Bless The Lord, O my soul and all that is WITHIN me." (Insert groans here)

Certainly this verse is not talking about the contents of my stomach; it is calling for praise that comes from the depths of my being. I am praising with all my heart and soul.

Then the second verse encourages me not to forget any of His benefits. Wow! Where do I begin? How can I possibly remember all the benefits of being a child of God?

Actually, the Psalmist helps us out by "priming the pump" in the next 3 verses:

"Who forgives [every one of] all your iniquities, Who heals [each one of] all your diseases, Who redeems your life from the pit and corruption, Who beautifies, dignifies, and crowns you with loving- kindness and tender mercy; Who satisfies your mouth [your necessity and desire at your personal age and situation] with good so that your youth, renewed, is like the eagle’s [strong, overcoming, soaring]!" (Verses 3-5)

So, here's how the praising starts: I am forgiven. I am healed (temporarily now; ultimately in His presence in heaven). I am rescued. I am decorated with loving-kindness and mercy. My needs are met. I am strengthened to soar.

Pondering each of those realities opens up new awareness of further benefits and how I am called to pay those benefits forward for His kingdom purposes.

Question: How will you bless The Lord today?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment