Monday, April 14, 2014

Which tasks are most important?

(photo credit: suewatkins.net)

"Man goes forth to his work and remains at his task until evening." (Psalm 104:23, Amplified Bible)

This little verse stuck out for me in my reading this morning. Seems like a good one to kick off a Monday.

Actually, I am starting something new with my Monday schedule and I am starting today. The fact that you are reading this means that, in some way, you know that a part of my ministry is writing. Beyond simply writing encouraging devotionals, I am moving more toward creating and developing resources for use in the churches I assist. Some of them have been "in process" for over two years and others are still at the idea stage. When I am working in my office, the pull of the urgent (phone calls, requests, general office things) tends to keep these on the back burner.

So, starting today, Mondays are going to be designated as "content creation and resource development days." I am working offsite, only taking calls from my administrative assistant, and focusing intently on projects that may not be urgent for today but are important in the long term.

My plan may be far removed from your context. You may not have the flexibility to do what I am doing. But you ARE faced with the challenge of balancing the "urgent" and the "important". If we are not intentional, the important will be swallowed up by the urgent every day. No matter what your job situation is, you have more control over that than you think you do.

Question: What deliberate choice will you make today to be sure that you spend time on things that are important?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment